Friday, August 1, 2014

Portrait Day Out

   Last week I had the opportunity to catch up with my friend Kristen, who I haven't seen in almost a year. We were looking for something to do, when I suggested we take some portraits by the river. She readily agreed, and so we headed over to the park.
"The Royal Port" Sony A99  28mm, f/9, 1/125, ISO 100
   This was my first time doing non-candid portraiture, as well as my first time out with the A99, so I had my work cut out for me when it came to light-sensitivity and depth of field! I set up my gear at the edge of the park, and we headed over to the docks. As we walked, I surveyed the scene and decided that I wanted to use the shallow depth of field of my 50mm f/1.7.



"Kristen and Barney" Sony A99  50mm, f/2.8, 1/640, ISO 400
 

  Kristen had brought her dog Barney, and so we decided to incorporate him into our photographs. He was very energetic, and so I need to boost my ISO so that I could get the shutter speed that I needed to freeze his motion. As we sat at the dock, we talked. During our conversation, Barney settled down and I was able to capture the following photo of the pair:

"Dog and Owner" Sony A99 50mm, f/8, 1/250, ISO 400


Observing that the light was fading fast, we decided to move across the park towards the historic downtown. As we walked, we passed a planted section of the park full of flowers. Once again, the magic of the 50mm was needed to turn the bright colors of the flowers into a bokeh wonderland. I think my focus must have been slightly in the wrong spot due to the sharpness of her sleeves, but a lovely photo nonetheless.

"Kristen" Sony A99, 50mm, f/1.7, 1/250, ISO 50


Not wanting to miss out on the fun, Barney jumped right in:

"Barney the Wonderdog" Sony A99, 50mm, f/1.7, 1/800, ISO 200

Working our way into town, we passed a backstreet with a crumbling brick wall. Kristen told me she wanted a photo in front of it, and I obliged.

"Kristen at the Wall" Sony A99, 50mm, f/3.5, 1/800, ISO 400

Still wanting to try out my new 28-85mm lens, I reattached it to the camera and we headed further into town. Passing a bank, I noticed a very interesting night deposit box. I decided that that would also be a good place for a photograph. The light was rapidly fading, and I was forced to boost my ISO to 1600. On an APS-C camera like my A57, this would have introduced much unpleasant grain. Luckily the A99's FF sensor took it like an absolute champ:

"The Night Depository" Sony A99, 40mm, f/6.3, 1/400, ISO 1600

Since it was getting dark, we decided to head back to the car. as we passed the bridge, I saw an opportunity for one final photo. Switching to my 70-210 lens, I directed her to look down the river at the setting sun. I opened up the aperture as wide as I could to separate her from the distraction of the trees behind her. The final image came out quite nicely.

"Kristen on the Bridge" Sony A99, 150mm, f/4, 1/800, ISO 800

 Overall, I think the trip was a great success. We both had a marvelous time, and Kristen and Barney seem pleased with their portraits. If you would like to see the full sized images, head on over to my Flickr.  Zach's Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment